Thread: Inkpad X
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2020, 03:44 PM   #7
Savate
Enthusiast
Savate will become famous soon enoughSavate will become famous soon enoughSavate will become famous soon enoughSavate will become famous soon enoughSavate will become famous soon enoughSavate will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Signature
New Inkpad X - quick review of user experience

After some time musing about the value of the new Inkpad X as a PDF reader and taking odds and ends of advice from this forum and others I finally took the plunge and bought one! I bought from Amazon because it's so reliable and has a good approach to refunds and replacements.

Glad I did because the first one had a problem with the USB port - it wouldn't connect to the PC without jiggling it. But Amazon replaced it right away, with no quibbles. The replacement works as it should. (I use Calibre to manage my book - X works fine with it).

The build quality doesn't feel terrific (the plastic backing offers a good grip but feels just a little too flexible as if not quite attached to the underlying chassis but it's not a problem for me. The buttons (standard on most Pocketbooks) aren't the tightest in the world, but again these do their job.

On the other hand it is very, very light - hence the 'feel' - which is great since you barely notice it when reading on your lap or holding while riding a bus. But being so light you would not want to accidentally sit on it and you would want to be careful if packing it in a briefcase or shoulder bag to avoid crushing. It definitely needs a protective case of some sort (which is next on the list).

It's a bit pricey but it does what I need it for, to read PDFs mainly.
I am very pleased with it as an ereader (and relieved to be so - it took all of my petty cash savings!). It seems to handle most (not all) of the PDFs in my library pretty well and as I get more familiar with it I think the experience will improve.

I've used a Touch Lux 4 for a while now and though Pocketbook software is not quite as well designed as a Kindle it works well. The X is basically the same with just a few minor differences (e.g. position of settings menu, screen light operations). In some ways it is a lot easier to use than the smaller screen Lux as there is more screen space to poke and stroke!

Mind you, so far I am still using my Lux for reading in bed as the X is rather on the large side for being curled up under the duvet and I haven't quite got the hang of it yet. The larger screen does take a little getting used to!

So, I would recommend it if you need to read larger fixed format documents like PDFs or comics. I haven't tried comics (yet) but I am expecting that to be a good experience as well. The images that are often included in the PDfs I read all look decent (occasionally adequate) and at last I can see them properly (unlike the Lux)!

I don't know yet what the battery life is like.
Savate is offline   Reply With Quote