View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 03:24 PM   #42
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
It seems that some here are implying that those of us who don't want to pay what we consider a high price for an eBook are pirates. Not at all. We just don't pay those high prices (high in our mind, but maybe not yours). Instead, we will borrow books from the library, or read other, older books that do not cost as much to acquire. And if some publisher chooses to delay allowing libraries to handle their books, then we will continue on reading other stuff instead of those unavailable new release books.

Does that make us pirates in your mind? There is zero logic in that thought process IMHO.

I'm guessing this experiment is for the publisher to determine how to maximize their profit. That's a fine goal for them. For some people, this experiment may push them to buy more eBooks rather then waiting for them to become available in the library. That's fine. I have no qualms with that. But for me, and I would propose also for the majority of library patrons, we'll just read OTHER stuff instead, as I have stated repeatedly above. This does not imply that we are pirates in any way. It simply serves as evidence that we want to maximize the benefits of our entertainment dollars. Just like the publishers want to maximize their sales. It's the exact same reason why I haven't gone to a movie theater in decades (too expensive in my mind). I wait until the movie can be rented at a RedBox much cheaper. That economical behavior choice doesn't make me a movie pirate either.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote