View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 05:34 AM   #38
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
I think "inflated" means "far above and beyond the cost of producing and distributing". I do think it's ridiculous that e-books supposedly cost more than regular books but greed is what it is.

Or not. This won't effect piracy. All this will do is make libraries more irrelevant.

Things like this make piracy an attractive option. Some people don't feel they should wait when they can get it for free. This is simple economics but the culture of the forum makes it taboo to speak of it. At least as far as I've seen.
Ever work in retail or in service? Way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was a teenager, I worked for a summer at Chick-fil-a. A large soda cost 8 cents to produce and was sold for $1. Of course, the biggest cost in a fast food place is labor. The next summer, I worked in a service station (back in the days when we pumped the gas, checked the oil and washed the windows), same deal. We charged at least twice as much as we paid for a part and it was pretty likely that the actual cost of production was well below what we paid for it.

Very few items are priced at just above what it actually cost to produce them. When you look at just the cost to physically produce an item without looking at everything involved, then you are cherry picking. There are a lot of people involved with creating a book and making it available that have to be paid. The physical cost of actually printing a book is a small, small fraction of the total cost of making it available.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote