View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 08:13 AM   #33
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
(Emphasis again mine.)

You keep trying to get away with hot-button words. What do you mean by "inflated"? "Price that some customers are willing to pay, designed to maximize revenues"?

And if finances don't permit, then they get to wait just as with every other consumer good someone can't afford/can't justify.

Piracy exists. But why the torturous attempts to gloss it over?
Sorry if I wasn't blunt enough for you.

I regard the agency prices charged for most new releases by the Big 5 under agency pricing as inflated. I regard them as a rip-off and don't purchase them at these prices. IMHO this is the reason why this particular publisher has been seeing an adverse impact on its ebook sales over a period of time. Not library lending.

Also IMHO, these prices are not set to maximise revenues but to delay ebook adoption in an attempt to protect the market for paper books. A failing and in fact doomed endeavour, also IMHO.

Indeed people who can't afford or won't pay the inflated price should wait. Books are not special snowflakes to which some different form of morality should apply. But clearly some of them will not wait. Far from torturous attempts to gloss over piracy I actually stated:

Quote:
Not affected at all (apart from the said inconvenience) are those prepared to do without altogether, wait, or download a pirate copy. Guess which option many seeking instant gratification are going to choose?
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote