View Single Post
Old 07-26-2014, 07:39 AM   #56
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by skreutzer View Post
@elibrarian:
As Hitch correctly pointed out, it is within your right to license your results as they are your own creation restrictively, so depending on your licensing terms, I might have to wait those 70 years after your death (or even longer, if copyright protection time gets extended again instead of significantly reduced) if you exclude some of the digital freedoms from your licensing, which I potentially might want or need. I guess I will be dead before it goes into public domain. So do you publish the transcribed work without endorsements (annotations, editorial work) or only with them, so it would be quite hard to extract the original, unchanged text without doing a proofreading again?
In some of the earlier publications of mine it will probably be quite hard to distinguish what's mine and what not. I make only one edition of each work. I do not operate with any specific licensing, since - according to danish law - copyright is implicit where applicable - no © sign or registration necessary (and yes, I know the various Creative Commons-licenses. I also know that most people have an idea that everything you find on the internet is yours for the taking - believe me: I know!).

But as I've said, derivative work has no impact on the copyright status of the original work, and anyone can make their own editions of the original as they please. You may not have to wait 70 years to read my editions (at present all of them can be borrowed via the public libraries in Denmark), but you will have to wait 70 years to copy them to your neighbour, so to speak. I don't find that unreasonable, except 70 years after my death is idiotic (actually I don't care what happens after I'm dead, and my grandchildren will have to fight their own battles without my economic subsidy).

But I find this discussion a little esoteric. I publish primarily to make the books accessible to readers, which does not automatically or necessarily entitles anyone to spread these editions all over the internet. I know your views from other threads, and I guess I'll never win you over, just as you won't me - that probably makes me a nasty criminal in your view so for now, just let us agree that we disagree on some points.

Regards,

Kim
elibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote