View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #65
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
There is room in the market for both devices. Actually, I would rather see the eBook market be more similar to the DVD player market than the PC or MP3 player market. I want to be able to choose any device by any manufacturer and be able to read all my books on it instantly. If this happens it will be a win for the consumers which is more important to me that a "win" for Sony or Amazon.
What you're asking for is a common ebook format everyone supports, so it doesn't matter which device you use to read it.

I concur. I maintain five different viewers to handle the various content on my PDA, and must remember which content is in which format. The good part is that I can handle pretty much anything. The bad part is that it's more effort than it really should be.

And I think casting it in terms of Amazon Kindle vs Sony Reader is misleading. What about the Bookeen Cybook, iRex Iliad, or Hanlin devices? And the eBookwise 1150 is still out there, with the manufactuer readying an eInk based device, not to meantion the plethora of PDAs and cell phones that can be used as book viewers.

There's room for a lot more than one device in the market.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote