View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008, 04:02 PM   #18
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Excuse me for coming with good suggestions.

If you know something about debugging programs you know that you have to test things. You can theorize how much you want but often you miss something and you are lead in the wrong direction.

I have confirmed that with a working Cybook it recreates the file. Your file was not recreated so there is a problem and the symptom is that the file was not recreated.

And it is easy to have a theory for your observations (it might be wrong). The cybook tries to create the file. It fails and remounts the file system read only. When you moved the file back maybe you copied it to another place on the file system that worked.

I have once ot twice forgotten to unmount before removing the cable. I assume that can happen for other people also so there is not hard to explain how a file corruption can occur.

Trivial googling give you from Wikipedia:
First, I wasn't being sarcastic when I asked 'How?'

Second, this is *MY* Cybook, not some throwaway I can test to destruction. If it goes down I LOSE my main reading source! So I'm not that willing to just willy-nilly poke and prod until it breaks - unless it's already failed to the point of uselessness as is.

Third, I'm using a WinXP machine and I've never had to 'unmount' the Cybook before unplugging it. Believe me, I've plugged and unplugged the previous one well over 1,000 times and this one over 100 times. What I always do when I'm tranferring book files across, is do the transfer and then clean up the old files I want to remove and then let it sit there soaking up electrons for a good long while.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote