View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #52
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
The best way to ensure more sales for the author is to be inviting and welcoming to your target market. Set a reasonable price, be completely useful for the people you are selling to. You'll get repeat customers who will spread the word far and wide.

I recently bought the humble e-book bundle. Why? because the authors were open, inviting, and didn't make their product a pain in the posterior to use. I downloaded it and it's mine. I also told everyone I knew about these amazing authors, and why I am so willing to support them.

If authors want to make their work require extra song and dance, after they've paid for it, just to be able to use it (especially if they are writing specialized reference material!), then they're going to have a lot of unsatisfied customers. I've bought DRM'ed books before, and prior to knowing how to use the "tools" (which can't be discussed here) I was a sad person who felt ripped off. I still feel insulted that I had to pick the lock on my own storybooks so I could read them however the *bleep* I wanted.

But despite the many real concerns that might affect paying customers, if authors feel somehow safe, even if it's placebo, from pirates, by slapping DRM on their material go for it. A better option is a watermark (which is a "kind" of drm, but not a PITA) if you really don't trust your customers.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote