View Single Post
Old 03-24-2008, 01:22 PM   #128
rationalbiker
Connoisseur
rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I also agree that there would be less "piracy" if there were more societal disapproval. But the only way to really stamp it out completely from that direction would be do convince 100% of the populace that it's wrong and shouldn't be done.
I concur that expecting 100% good behavior is not realistic. I'd just like to move closer in that direction.

Quote:
Yes it's wrong, but so is murder, and that still goes on despite a really widely held view of it as wrong. People do wrong stuff.
I hope nothing I've said would lead you to believe that I disagree with that statement. I'm in law enforcement. By reference to that observation, I know I have job security. While it would be a noble idea for people to put me out of business, I really don't see that happenig. For the sake of clarification, my level of law enforcement doesn't deal so much with piracy and such.

Quote:
I do try to keep my "conclusions" open to review, however: I find that it keeps me in the habit of thinking, which is a good thing, and it reduces the amount of time I end up looking like a donkey for inflexibly holding a bad position, which is also a good thing.
Again, I agree. It does me no good to hold on to ideas that no longer conform to reality. But that's what this whole controversy is about, a battle of ideas, a conflict of good and bad philosophy.