View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 01:41 AM   #2
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't know about how "true" it is...I think it gives some interesting possibilities as to why some people feel eyestrain and its accompaniments so readily and strongly, and why others don't. Actually, I'm skipping something in my motive for replying...

At this very moment, having just played some Ratchet and Clank on the PS3, I am suffering, as I always do with these first-person-type games, some serious "motion sickness". My stomach is currently ululating and undulating in a region located simultaneously proximal to a sickly swelling in the back of my throat and above the pulsating forcefield of a suddenly-migrainal brainscape. I am aware, frustratingly so, from watching others play and noting the games' massive popularity, that these types of games don't cause such symptoms in most, and in others they do to varying degrees up to and probably past mine.

So, reading these "technical reasons" actually has the psychosomatic effect of making me feel even further queazy, particularly the first three. I can "relate" to them, and daren't touch my iPad at the moment. Some of this is possibly an empathetic response, but also, I suspect, it has something to do with aggravation of symptoms which perhaps I am sensitive to to a particular degree (though I'd note that when not in a "motion sickness" state, I have no problems reading on my iPad, though I have a comfort preference for my Kindle). The "movement" of parallax, the shifting focus of glare, the adjusting to brightnesses...all of these would aggravate my motion sickness (and, even absent the game-playing, would certainly aggravate my migraines).

It's all interesting. There'll obviously be reasonable doubt about a seller's "technical reasons" as to why one of their product specifications is "better", but it will be interesting if people who do feel said "eyestrain" symptoms with backlit LCD's have any kind of visceral "Yes!" reaction to the detailed points. Not that that is "proof" by the usual scientific standards, but it's all grist to the mill when it comes to expanding the conversation around the topic.

Cheers,
Marc (doomed to play Little Big Planet 1 & 2 forever )
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote