View Single Post
Old 10-30-2018, 04:56 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Wow, Apple is sticking it to the buyer really hard with the add-ons for the new Mac mini! Here is the higher end base model which starts out at $1099, and it includes the following:
  • 3.0GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz)
  • 8GB 2666MHz DDR4
  • Intel UHD Graphics 630
  • 256GB SSD storage
  • Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet using RJ-45 connector)

Now let us max out the available options by adding these add-ons:
  • +$200.00 to upgrade to 3.2GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 4.6GHz)
  • +$1,400.00 to upgrade to 64GB 2666MHz DDR4
  • +$1,400.00 to upgrade to 2TB SSD storage
  • +$100.00 to upgrade to 10 Gigabit Ethernet (Nbase-T Ethernet with support for 1Gb, 2.5Gb, 5Gb, and 10Gb Ethernet using RJ‑45 connector)

So now the well equipped Mac mini will cost a whopping $4,199.00. Way too rich for my blood. Maybe later on I'll get a slightly upgraded model, but not for a year or two at least. But on the other hand, I'm not in the market for a new Mac now.
As they mentioned in keynote, Mac mini’s are being used in server farms. That’s who is going to be buying most of the high end mini’s (with 10 Gigabit Ethernet, 2TB SSD, 64Gb RAM etc). For $4200 you can get an 8-core iMac Pro that includes a 5K display, keyboard and trackpad, and whose memory can be upgraded.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote