View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Update could be easily unpacked with kindletool and it contains whole files, not the binary patches as in 5.0.3. So it's easier to inspect for differencies.

Remeber, it's not only update from 5.0.3 to 5.0.4. It's also an update from 5.0.0 to 5.0.4 (i.e. 5.0.3 is included in 5.0.4). And, as it contains whole files, big size doesn't means big changes.

There is a new busybox. I've tried to unpack tar.gz containing /var/local/system/locale with busybox from 5.0.4 and result was the same as with busybox from 5.0.3. So, I suppose, current jailbreak method should still work.

There is a new kernel.
I asked amazon to release a FULL update when I was on the phone with their "deep" techs who know this stuff for a few hours a few weeks back. I believe I convinced them that partial updates were a bad idea, and it looks like they listened to me. I called for permission to include a partition image in my recovery tools, but we discussed much more than that.

@eureka:
Did you notice when unpacking that there was another update package inside the first one?

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-02-2012 at 04:06 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote