View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #26
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
There needs to be a graceful way to abort when you mess up
There is no graceful way to abort that operation.

Say you're working in the python console. You type in 2**2, it prints out 4. The you type in 2**3, it prints out 8. Then 2**4, result 16.

Then you type in 2131434234532**38728284872.

It's not going to tell you "Hey smartass, that will take a couple of years".

Point being, the computer is doing what you told it to do. You can't blame it for that.

I'm not sure, but maybe PCRE can detect catastrophic backtracking. I plan on integrating it, so we'll see then. But I can't force QRegExp to behave differently. And it's not doing anything wrong, it's matching the way you told it to.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote