Thread: Name that book?
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #594
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
I was trying to find a short story (sci fi) that I read a long long time ago. I am guessing based on the kinds of things I was reading at that time that it was Anne McCaffrey or possibly Ray Bradbury although it could have been a random author from an anthology possibly. The story had something to do with a war with the population on Mars (?) and a soldier who was hopelessly jinxed. In the end they decided to send him to live on Mars as the assignment that would give them the biggest benefit in the war effort. It wasn't the best story but I often recall it when my niece breaks yet another piece of electronic equipment seemingly by touching it. I did flip through the Illustrated Man and To Ride Pegasus which were still lurking about what is left of my paper library but didn't see it. It might have been there but it didn't jump out at me if it was.
This story sounds familiar. As I recall the commanding officer says that he would have the man executed only it would probably mean that the whole unit would be wiped out while trying to carry it out. He also estimates that the war should be over within a year of the young soldier landing on the planet. I can't recall the name right offhand though.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote