Thread: Outlines?
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 04:40 AM   #17
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think everyone does outline a little bit. Even if they don't make a chapter by chapter listing of what happens as the story progresses they have to have some vague idea of who and what the story is about. A Kindle book I just bought from Amazon the other day for example mentions GMC as one of the things you have to take into account in order to have a functional story. G = goal M=motivation and C= conflict. Basically the author was saying that unless the characters have a clear goal, a clear reason for wanting to reach that goal, and conflict in that they can't just reach their goal then your story lacks focus and will flop around not going anywhere. I think in that sense everyone outlines (even if on an unconscience level). Take "The Wizard of Oz" for example. Dorothy has a goal (to get home), a motivation (she thinks Aunt Em is sick) and a conflict (the wicked witch is after her). If any one of those three points were missing or not properly defined L. Frank Baum's 1st Oz book would have sunk without a trace upon its initial publication.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote