View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
country0129
Country0129
country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, PC
HIGH CPU Usage Problem

I have around 10200 books in my library. All are up to date with metadata and appropriate editing. The library is approximately 10GB in size. I was trying to bulk convert about 3000 books from *.pdf to *.mobi, to read on our Kindles, and I kept getting a high cpu and handle usage notification. The program (Calibre) seemed to stick or freeze regularly. The program most always resumes after a while. I have the preferences set to use 4 CPU's. I opened the task manger, resource monitor, and all 4 cpu's were maxed out. I alternatively reassigned priority in the process manager from low to high to all 4 helper and the main Calibre processes to no avail. I have an AMD quad processor at 2.00 MHZ, 16GB RAM, and the RAM consistantly is stable at about 2GB of usage during this process. The CPU fan stays on constantly, revving up and down raggedly, and I'm a bit afraid of frying the CPU. It pretty well stays off during any other Calibre or other program utilization. By the way, this same thing occurs with a smaller batch of books being converted. Anything over 4 produces the same effects. And, during the process, if any exceptions, such as a book with DRM that can't be converted, occur, it causes at least a temporary freeze.

I'm using Win7 64 bit, and all 16GB of RAM is available to use. From what I've researched, I can find no way to allocate more RAM to specific programs to alleviate high CPU usage. Is there a way to do so with Calibre or the Win7 64bit OS?
country0129 is offline   Reply With Quote