View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 11:54 PM   #17
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipreads View Post
Never heard of The Rook.

As for the other two, they turn around your expectations of the epic fantasy genre, although Rothfuss is arguably more overt at it. Had difficulties reading The Knight because it was written in an archaic style (that's Wolfe's intent for this novel... his other fiction isn't written like that).
The Rook is pretty new, it came out in January and it's a debut novel. It's not epic fantasy, but I included it because it's a sci-fi/fantasy/paranormal type of thing and it looked interesting. It's about a woman who wakes up with amnesia, surrounded by bodies wearing latex gloves, and there's a letter to her written by herself in the past telling her there are people trying to kill her, and what steps she needs to take to survive. It's like The Bourne Identity meets Memento (she keeps encountering notes written to herself from the past), and soon she discovers she has superpowers and is a high-ranking official in a secret British paranormal government agency.

So yeah, that grabbed me right from the start and I can't stop reading.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote