View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 08:22 AM   #145
Alissa
Connoisseur
Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 + Story HD + Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by umeca74 View Post
I wonder if this tool can offer plain text previews too? You know these that appear in windows explorer's preview pane? Such a text extraction facility would also make kindle ebooks searchable using windows desktop search. Any ideas? Thanks
No, MobiHandler does NOT provide text preview. It shows the same cover image as thumbnail on the Windows Explorer's preview pane (although the size will be larger.)

You are right that if we can extract the book text and pass it to Windows Search Indexer, we could find MOBI/AZW books containing some particular words. I agree such a feature is useful. I believe I know how to pass the text to Windows Search once it was extracted. There are two problems, however: (1) most of the books sold by Amazon are encrypted (DRM) and breaking it is not what I want to do, and (2) even on unencrypted books, extracting the content text is far more complex task than extracting the cover image.

So, it is not on my to do list, at least for the moment. I don't know you are a programmer, but if you are or you know some who are also interested in making MOBI books searchable on the Windows, you can always download the source files of the MobiHandler and start adding the feature. Please feel free to use it as a basis of your work. I'm willing to answer any question regarding the internals of MobiHandler or something related, as far as I know.

BTW, my to dos for the next version of MobiHandlers are: (1) cleanup of the cover image handling codes that consist of three similar but separate code blocks in this version, (2) isolation of the property sheet handling and anything else (i.e., cover image extraction and other properties management), and (3) improvement of installer especially on the technique to make it coexist with A4PC, calibre, Mobipocket Reader, etc. I'm currently woking (very slowly) on them.
Alissa is offline   Reply With Quote