View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
Solved: The mystery of the missing keypresses when attempting page turns

Hi:

As long as I've had the PP I've had the issue all the time of missing keypresses when turning the pages. Quite annoying and I've never completely understood the cause.

I am happy to report I have solved this.

I was running the new March firmware with no issues other than the normal keypress issues, when I noticed that the battery level was a bit lower than it should have been (I read mostly pdfs).

I was reading messages here, when I saw some comments about how there's a power issue involving the SDHC slot. I thought to myself, this is a clue.

See, the SDHC card I've been using in the reader is the one that it came with, it's a very slow card, reads and writes at about 3 megabytes a second.

All my firmware flashes were done using that card. I decided to try flashing in the December firmware with my good quality Class 6 Transcend card that I have in my camera just in case that the power issues were more than just the SDHC. I noticed the flash process went faster with this card.

Next, I copied the books from the card, to the device's available internal memory. It had about 370 megs free, so plenty of room to work with.

I then removed the SDHC from the device and..

No more missed keypresses. The device catches every page turn now.

What still needs to be tested, perhaps by the new person Astak hired to test these things out:

-To see if a Class 6 SDHC card does not have the keypresses issue (this may be the case, as there are people here who say they don't have this issue). If it does, there are a variety of software based solutions.

-To see if the March firmware power issues go away when you use only the internal memory and not a SDHC.

-To see if the presses are specific to specific versions, we know now that it doesn't happen with the December one when using internal memory only.

So there you have it, the culprit is the SDHC.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote