View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 05:54 AM   #8
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I was divided for a while, and I own both devices (T1). I'm sorry to say it, but the 650 is superior, mainly because of the ability to customize the device with Prs+. The T1/T2 is android-based and can be hacked, but its a much more complex (and iffy) business and in most ways offers less rewards. You can't even organize books by folder. Over all the T1 / T2 is a cheap, backwards step.

Oh yeah, and the browsers crap because there is no text-reflow. You can maybe use Opera mini which is listed as working on the T2 but not the T1. But I read about a lot of people bricking their devices...I'm pretty au fait with computers but it looks a pretty user-unfriendly process to me.

Forget brand loyalty. The new Sonys are nothing special. The only potential advantage I see is that they run on Android and if I was going to go for an Android e-reader, I'd look at the lighted Nook. I think they handle rooting better and they have a lighted screen.

Oh, and I wouldn't buy new. Get a 650 refurb if you can. My first 650 died after 14 months because of the known power-switch fault. It would've cost me $150 bucks to repair plus shipping. I got two used devices of ebay for that price. They work and I don't use the power-switch.

In fact, I read the other day that the T1 has a flaky power-switch too and if it goes you have to replace the whole device...

Last edited by Rizla; 01-26-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote