Thread: Touch Nook books
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
AFAIK Sony is using "generic" ADE DRM which means you can use a Sony DRM epub on the Kobo the same way you can use a Kobo DRM epub. I haven't used the Sony store, so maybe you need to use their software to get the epub, but it should be directly loadable onto the Kobo.

Yes and no. Most companies are using "generic" ADE DRM on their epubs so they are fairly interchangeable. However, B&N uses a different DRM system on their epubs that not all other readers (Kobo included) can accept (likely costs extra licensing $ to Adobe to include it on other readers and that's why they don't). The Nook can accept regular ADE DRM though I think.

Outside of DRM (i.e. when there is no DRM on them), the base epub on these are the same, so it's just the DRM that gets in the way of portability between devices.

The problem I found with Sony was their insistance that I download and install their own DRM software, before buying any books.

I found when I did this it automatically took over all DRM downloads, including public library books if I remember correctly, isolating Adobe's ADE !

This I did not want !!

I tried sending emails to Sony's address as shown to complain, but they were bounced back as "too many hops" ?

So I put things back as they were and crossed Sony off my book store list
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote