Thread: Classic New Firmware for Nook?
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 06:39 PM   #10
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle 4, Nook Gl4, Nook STR, REB 1100, Ebookwise 1500,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshzilla View Post
1.) Better document navigation for both books and music files
2.) Quicker page loading, at least have a buffer of two or three pages
3.) The ability to skip to a page number, this is, I think, tied to number 4
4.) Improved page calculations
5.) Improving the ability to navigate a book's contents. Huge books will have many many chapters and scrolling through the entire list can become tedious.
Point 1 to me is an absolute must and, frankly, was kind of dumb that something wasn't included from the get-go. I mean, seriously, one of the major features that they tout is the ability to store hundreds to thousands of books on your tiny little device. Well, that's great and all but if I can't organize those hundreds to thousands of books in a manner that makes them easy for me locate what's the use of having them all stored in that tiny little device? Seriously, unless your OCD fixation requires that everything be alphabetized by only the title, I know of no bibliophile who does not organize their books by Genre, then Author, then Title. Well, except my friend who just tosses them randomly on the shelf and somehow still knows where everything is when she needs it. But then she's just plain weird.

Points 2-5 unfortunately are far more difficult to achieve if my understanding on of how the ePub format works. ePub is, essentially, an electronic version of a book not dissimilar to a PDF file. While a PDF file is absolutely rigid and you can't adjust anything beyond the size at which the whole file is displayed an ePUB will let you adjust font and font size. The problem is that like a PDF the 'length' of the page is basically set in stone and does not adjust for the size of the screen you're reading on. So if the page length is set at 11" and you're reading on a 5" screen you're only going to see the page in 5" increments. This is demonstrated by the fact that I have come across pages while reading on my Nook that cut off mid-sentence within the top half of the screen and then pick up again with the rest of the sentence once I go to the next page. So, sadly, I think this is a flaw in the file format that might not have an easy fix. I could, of course, be wrong as I am not a programmer but that's how it appears to me.

Beth
BookJunkieLI is offline   Reply With Quote