View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #1
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Frontlit alternative to Sony Readers - advice needed

Hi! I have used Sony devices for about four years, but after the recent announcement by Sony (no frontlight) I'm looking at E-Ink alternatives. The PW is not an option for various reasons, although I really like its display and light. It's the only frontlit device I've seen in person, since few physical stores in my country stock E-Ink readers you can look at.

I would like to hear from others who have experience with alternatives. Price is not really a consideration for a device I'm using for hours each day. I'm especially interested in hearing about contenders I might have missed. Right now the Kobo Glo seems most attractive, alternatively the Aura, however I have seen rumours that Kobo will announce a new reader soon.

I have a few requirements apart from the frontlight:
  • Option to not have the time displayed while reading. This is an absolute must
  • 6" screen (fits in my pockets), the Kobo Aura at ~1cm larger than my 650 is probably OK
  • Possibility of maintaining collections/shelves from calibre: The Sony handles this very well, but it need not be as advanced. Even a reader which can display folders would be OK, as calibre can manage that on send to device. I use this mainly to separate my TBR list from the rest, so tagging which can be managed from calibre would also work.
  • Integrated dictionaries. A good English one is most important, but at least Spanish in addition would be nice.
  • Contrast and resolution at least on par with the prs-650 is probably a given by now.

Not important:
  • PDF support, zoom
  • Storage, ~1 GB is more than adequate
  • Online features. Highlight export might be nice, but "social features" are actually a minus in my opinion.
  • Wi-Fi/3G. USB and calibre sync is enough for me.

What I love about my current 650 is its stability and durability, which is also why I really hoped Sony would make a lighted reader. I find clip-on lights and lighted covers cumbersome, especially when reading in bed.

I have done some research, here's a quick summary of my findings:
  • Kobo Glo: I hear bad things about the stability. If it were only connection issues that would probably be manageable, but reports of glitches during reading and even hard locks requiring a cabled connection to reset makes me wary of going for that one.
  • Kobo Aura: similar stability issues, a bit large for my liking.
  • Onyx i62HD: relatively bad light quality
  • Nook Simple Touch: Varying experiences with uneven light and bluish tint, poor dictionary options
  • Odyssey Frontlight HD: No English dictionary (!), poor display contrast, light somewhat uneven
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote