Thread: tables or svg?
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 03:40 AM   #11
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
It looks like svg is a dead issue with epubs.
I may be very wrong, but it looks like svg has never been much of a starter with almost anyone, regardless of whatever good intentions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabe View Post
Currently, if you want a book to look good on the iPad, you must go along with Apple's implementation.
OK, this is not a shot at anyone, this is meant to be a genuine pondering: how much of a share in our formatting concerns does iPad/Apple need to take?

For me, I guess it comes down to two specific questions:
1) what percentage of eBook (especially ePub) readers are doing their reading on an iPad?
and
2) when specific layout/coding decisions by Apple are in conflict with the closest we have to a standard (by which I mean ePub and ADE), to which is it wiser to give precedence?

I don't have an answer to either of those, so I'd be grateful to hear other people's opinions. My perception is that Apple tends to punch above its weight in terms of actual market share of eBook readers, being granted undue influence through its gadget-geek appeal. The fact that it seems to be becoming the proverbial 500 lb gorilla that does not play well with others gets up my nose, but as someone learning to format ePubs and trying to develop an efficient workflow I'm trying to get my feelings in perspective.

Any thoughts, please?
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote