View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #28
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Perhaps, but it's also a very simple measure. At least one body has classified it such and that body is probably no less qualified than we are in this book club regardless of mistakes they may or may not have made.

Are we happy that sometimes a book is selected that is thought by enough people to be sufficiently literary to be voted in as a book club read only for us to find out later that perhaps it should not have qualified? Is the possibility something we should just accept gracefully? Or is there something we think we need to address to improve the selections going forward? If so - how would we go about it?
I do agree with the Prize not being a foolproof guide - it may cut out bad writing, but I am sure commercial issues do matter a lot, too, as e.g. for the Man Booker prize it is publisher who decide which books to put forward.

I think we do have to accept that we will make mistakes every now and then, as unless we have read the book we can only go on a hunch interpreting what others have said - and on Year of Wonders specifically, sure Caleb you proposed it, but the rest of the group voted for it.

Perhaps if we all agree we should collectively accept with good grace if somebody else says "not quite literary enough", and at least have a rethink, and be more forthright if we believe a selection is not up to it. So far it seems to me we are an harmonious bunch with aligned interests, at least for the purpose of this club, so hopefully we will be able to accept criticisms gracefully
paola is offline   Reply With Quote