View Single Post
Old 05-23-2010, 12:36 AM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I just came across your post (your English is very good).

Hopefully, others with more background in modern / contemporary American short stories will reply.

I saw this paperback at Amazon, but haven't read it.
American Short Story Masterpieces [Mass Market Paperback].

Quote:
3. Ideally, these are vignettes that embodies the same wisdom, wit and detached observations of human nature similar to the ones Maugham wrote half a century ago. A broad cultural background setting will be nice but not necessarily travel or international settings as Maugham's stories, as they are still more interested in learning modern American culture/language.
Modern American culture and language is even hard for me to define. The diversity, even in neighborhoods, is greater than it was 50 years ago. I can only think of books and not short stories, but these would be from varying points of view (based on family cultural background and living in different parts of the USA). I live here and notice that California is vastly different than the Midwest, which is totally different from Texas, which is totally different from New York. To me, America is almost like a land of many countries.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote