View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #16245
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Finished up Nick Harkaway's Angelmaker yesterday. I figured I better try and jot something coherent down before I'm too far removed from the experience.

It always seems so much easier to wax philosophic about books I didn't really enjoy; and even books that I really enjoyed. But when it comes time to talk about a book that I truly adored every aspect of ... well, words seem to fail me (or I fail the words--which is altogether likely) and I'm reduced to silly cliches and otherwise woefully inadequate praise. Angelmaker was such a book. So without further adieu; the cliches:

Funny without being silly.
Smart without being pretentious.
Dark at times without being grim.
Larger than life/exquisitely developed characters.
Plot elements that mesh seamlessly and dramatically.
A style that made it hard to put down.
Wanted to re-read it immediately upon completion.

Quite simply, the most enjoyable book I've read in some time.

Word of warning though--only because I know it trips some people, up for whatever reason: it's very British (or at least what a non-British person would consider very British. ).
Thanks for the tip. Looks right up my street, so it's on my Wish List as of now. And I'm British, so I'll let you know .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote