View Single Post
Old 01-11-2014, 05:02 PM   #178
pisceschick
Addict
pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Classic Nook, Kindle Keyboard, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by apesmom View Post
Have you tried Pamela Clare's McKinnon's Rangers series?
Love those McKinnon brothers! Clare has said she's writing two more to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I remember someone around did hate first person stories. I personally love them if they are done right but I've yet to read a historical where it works.

One of my resolutions for the year is to read a sample of the book before purchasing if I am unfamiliar with the author. In this case the writing did not catch me within the first few pages.
I never, ever one-click and this is exactly why. D'oh!

And really, I don't mind FP in say, poetry. I really enjoy getting into the head of both of the main characters, and that's really difficult to do in this tense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
I don't exactly hate them, but far too many authors have no idea how to tell a story from a first-person perspective and make it believable and enjoyable to read at the same time. If they can't get it right in the first page or two, I delete the book from my library and move on.
So far I've only read the prologue, but it's not bothering me too terribly much. It's not the active "I do this, then this, and I think this" that makes me crazy. It's more like a memoir, but I don't see the benefit of doing the story this way.

My sinus infection seems to be re-rearing its ugly head (ran from mid-Sept to mid-Dec, on antibiotics for 9 weeks) and my head is killing me, so I might be switching to something lighter. Reading's easier on my sore head than the backlit computer and tablet.
pisceschick is offline   Reply With Quote