View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by edarksword View Post
Sometimes when sideloading an ebook, my Kobo Glo freezes and then requires the ebook to be removed from the device before the Glo can be used again. There is no error message and if more than one ebook is being loaded, I have to remove them one by one until I find the bad one. Hopefully Kobo will fix this in the firmware so an error message displays the filename of the bad book.

Does anyone know the specific problem with the ebook that causes it? I would like to create a utility that would check for this issue, and thus avoid trying to load it onto the Kobo in the first place.

Failing that, I would like to try to find out what the problem is. I figure it is one of three types of issues: badly formed zip file, Epub content problem, Epub style problem (CSS sheets). I have built a utility to check for the first two issues. I'm holding back on the third, hoping it is not a CSS issue. The problem is that most epubs (retail and free) have mutliple issues, but seem to load fine. It must be a specific issue or issues.

I have a number of epubs that I have loaded successfully. I have a handfull of epubs that I have verified fail when loading. Finding out which issues are preventing the Kobo loading is the problem.

Is there any interest in digging into this further?
If any of the ebooks that fail to load are public domain, you could upload them here and I could take a look at them. Or you might want to check out Sigil and see what it's FlightCrew epub validator routine has to say about the books. Also useful for editing books when you run into those all too common specimens where the epub style and contents suggest it was created by someone who had absolutely no knowledge of the epub specification.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote