View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #63
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
there is one pattern here, you can not miss it: all the advocates of buying this device are making the color eInk screen a strong point of jetbook.
They seem to totally ignore the lack of functionality. Apparently Ectaco adapted in a rush whatever software they could and released the device to the market. A premature move and an uninspired price. If the changes are not radical by the end of March/April the entire thing will be mostly for children. And we all know who pays for children.

In Dulin's review, just to quote the latest you can read "there is no" at almost each one or two paragraphs.
PF4Mobile: According to you every e-ink device is then a huge fail, because it does not have the feats you'd see in a tablet!

Most e-ink devices have been created to read books,and if they could perform these basic functions (like skipping pages, and following TOC hyperlinks is a bonus) then it's a good reader!

All other feats are added bonuses. Too bad e-ink readers are not tablets, they are 2 different animals,and you can't compare them!
There are perhaps many small kinks to be worked out,which hopefully will be done with firmware, but here you have a reader, that reads books of all kinds of formats perfectly fine, and on top a whole lot of educational feats!
That some of the device's functions don't work yet, is only natural. They are working on FW updates. I have had 2 ectaco devices before this one, and of all of them I can say they have a very solid OS. I had to reset my Sony PRS-505 about just as many times as I had to reset my Jetbook mini (the mini mainly due to too low processing power,not to menu's getting stuck like with the sony's).

Ectaco's track record of support and OS stability is pretty good so far, and one of the few who continued support while other e-book manufacturers hung up on their followers!

Grounding them to a pulp, just because they don't meet your expected view of them is not really realistic.
It's good to bring to the surface,some of the things they promised (like wifi, browser?), but not to continually bash them because the device does not function like a pc or tablet,because it is not a tablet.

Believe it or not, but Ectaco is still leading the pack of ebook readers!
Not only with their multi format compatibility, and color e-ink, but also with an sd card reader, high resolution display, fast Cortex A8 processor (it's about 4x faster than most ebook readers); TTS, dictionary, and perhaps in the future wifi and a browser.

Those are all feats, that combined you won't find in any other device on the market out there!
In fact,most ebook readers have one (like a large display), but not the other (no compatibility with the wide variety of file formats).
Or can read multiple file formats, but have a small screen...

And those that do can come close to the Jetbook (mainly large format e-ink readers monochrome displays), are either discontinued, or have a similar price tag.

Last edited by ProDigit; 02-28-2012 at 04:19 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote