View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
jigme
jigme began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPhone/Pad, etc.
Titles, subtitles & alternative "display" titles

hi -

first - thanks for the forum. i'm creating my first ebook for the charity i work for and have found this forum invaluable. i'm mainly coding by hand, as i have some html experience.

my question is this: the title of the work i'm converting is quite long, with its subtitle. the charity feels that the subtitle is quite important. the book is being split into 3 digital volumes (with new ISBNs, etc.), each with its own variant of the title: "Main Title: Fairly long subtitle - Volume name, Volume 1 of 3".

most software truncates this way before there's any differentiating character - so all three volumes show up as "Main Title: Fairly long..."

one suggestion is to split the title and subtitle, but i can't see how to do this. in the opf there is only, afaik, the <dc:title> field - no field for subtitle... is there?

even then, the 3 volumes' titles will need to be distinguishable. one suggestion is to use a "display" title, eg. "Main Title 1: Volume name".

is this possible in the ePub format? or if i use this, modified "display" title as the <dc:title>, then it won't be the same title as that registered to the ISBN – does that matter?

any help at all will be greatly appreciated!
alex
jigme is offline   Reply With Quote