View Single Post
Old 04-05-2018, 01:48 PM   #11
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
"Top line readers"? As opposed to, what, the riff-raff?

I'm not a romance reader, but there are a lot of big-name authors represented in the extensive list of Audible offerings. But more to the point, I fail to see how Audible "screws over" the readers who subscribe. Heck, even as a non-romance reader, I can find enough titles in some of the subcategories to make it worthwhile for a couple of months at least.

I don't know what kind of deal it is for authors and publishers. I don't care; it's not my problem. But for a reader, it looks pretty darn good.
Top line readers as opposed to someone's next door neighbor who just happens to have a nice speaking voice.

At one end of the spectrum, you have big name actors who regularly do voice work. Tim Curry and Wil Wheaton are examples. Then you have to top level of readers, people like Simon Vance or Oliver Wyman. You aren't going to get them for 57 cents. The other end of the spectrum is self published stories read by whomever they could find that worked cheap. I ran across one where the reader was actually the author's next door neighbor who just happened to have a good speaking voice.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote