View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #68
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
So being unfamiliar with Filetools Gadget, I am in the dark.

What is the end result? Can you convert books stored in nonstandard locations using calibre, or open them, send to device etc. using calibre? If you move or rename their file location is it automatically updated in calibre?

If so you could provide the answer to some peoples prayers. I'm fine with the way things are, but if others can have their wishes granted, that would be wonderful as well.

Helen
ops: its Lopesoft Filetools - Google for it, its free has lots of other useful features

From the Calibre GUI all you can do click on the link and open the file in whatever you told your OS to open it in - in my case those PDF's open in Trackers PDF XChange Viewer.

But the link could be to a folder, in which case your file manager (Windows Explorer, Finder, Nautilus etc) will open the folder. From there you can use the Calibres CLI programs and whatever else takes your fancy; same as you can if you click on Click to Open in Book Details or press o on your keyboard (sometimes you might have to press it twice - dunno why)

If you change the file path in any way the link will no longer work - its the equivalent of an Error 404 Not Found condition.

Calibre cannot be expected to detect these sort of changes, the Insert Link feature can handle any URI; file system link, a web link, an ftp link, whatever you want - even a WAIS link if such things still exist.

In my real library for that "Greece 10 years Ahead" book I have the English PDF in Calibre's folder. In My Comments I have a link to the McKinsey page from where I downloaded the PDF's, and I also have a link to a folder where I keep the Greek Language version, and a whole bunch of URLs to media and blog web pages where the report is gets a mention.

So for me its not a case of Calibre's Way or My Way - its Both Ways.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-12-2013 at 08:57 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote