View Single Post
Old 08-27-2014, 08:42 PM   #1
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Firmware 3.8.0 released

Kobo have started to roll-out firmware version 3.8.0 to "a small subset of Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD, and Kobo Aura customers". Who they will be, I don't know.

I think this is a release to get things in order for the new Aura H2O. All new Kobo devices have factory firmware on it but will do an update as part of the setup. This is probably that that firmware. But, it wouldn't surprise me to see a 3.8.1 shortly after the release.

The list of changes that Kobo told the beta list about, with my comments below each, are:
  • 'Sort Collections' is back
    This was partly fixed in 3.5.0 but seems be more completer now
  • Aura HD: Book Synopsis text was too small
    I think this affect the Glo as well. Italics tags work in the synopsis text again.
  • Fixed some intermittent Pocket Sign in and Sync issues
  • Cancelling out of purchase was taking you back to Home instead of previous context
  • Cycle power switch quickly > light may stay on in sleep mode
    With 3.5.0, I saw the light go off after a sleep or connect. I haven't seen this yet.
  • Unable to highlight full paragraph
  • [New Feature for Glo/Aura HD] One-finger brightness control: When light is on, swipe finger up/down along left edge of screen while reading to adjust brightness
    A very nice feature and works well. The only warning is that if starting the swipe is a bit slow, it can select the text.

The other things I, or others, have found are:
  • Ability to take screenshots is back. This works the same as before.
  • Viewing the details of a purchased kepub shows the cover even when not connected.
  • Solves transparent images rendering which sometimes were drawn in black (no transparency at all).

As to other known problems, the answer is "NO". That "no" means "it hasn't changed". With each firmware I see, I test a lot of the known problems (fonts, annotations list, lots of other things). If they had been fixed, I would list them above. I also test any known config file changes (such as full screen reading) but, I do not test any of the hacks or other add-ons.

Calibre has not been updated for this release. I will do this later today. I will also add support for the Aura H2O at the same time.
Update: Calibre has been updated and should be in the release on 29/8/2014.

Last edited by davidfor; 08-28-2014 at 08:32 PM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote