Thread: Touch Kobo Touch Firmware 2.0
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #126
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Kobo is still playing hide the firware. Why they bother, I really can't fanthom.

Upddating an unregistered kobo still completely bricks it until the database is populated with a user account. For a wifi device, that is epic fail. After so many updates, there's no sensible reason it shouldn't have account creation, if necessary, (which it shouldn't be,) built into the device.

Not mentioned in the release notes, images are now dithered. The improvement in display of pictures is amazing. The Japanese manga fans will be pleased.

Similarly, the improvement of font rendering with customizeable font weights is also massive. The Kobo is the first e-ink device I've seen that can almost match the Kindle for text clarity. It's a pity some are reporting difficulties with user supplied fonts, but I think it's a fair trade.

On the negative side the update, page turning is now significantly slower. Reading on the touch feels a bit like reading on the Wifi, you have to tap over a second ahead of when you want the page to turn. Dead tap followed by double page turn still plagues the Kobo. Only now you don't even get a double page flash to hint at what happened. You just suddenly find yourself having skipped a page.
rashkae is online now   Reply With Quote