Thread: Remove PDF DRM
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2008, 10:41 AM   #10
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
With respect, the DRM has not been "cracked" - that would imply the ability to remove DRM without knowing the encryption key, and that hasn't happened.
Hmm. I think I would disagree with you. DRM does mean "digital rights management" -- software enforcing restrictions placed on content by the copyright holder. This only works if the content operates purely within a sandbox which recognizes these restrictions, which means that a DRM system must keep the content within the sandbox in order to work. Figuring out how to "release" the content from the sandbox circumvents the purpose of the DRM, and to my mind constitutes a "crack" in the system.

EDIT: Note to self -- read entire thread before replying. Apologies for repeating what others already said.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote