View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
ok - well eventually, cp1250 was the answer.
utf8 made a mess with lots of black diamonds.

playing with settings after opening txt in in notepad++ gave me values of 92. 93. 94 on the problem characters when converting to utf8 with that program but I could not see how to use that info.

Opening the txt in word looked clean, but after saving it as filtered Html & then reimporting & reconverting, the heuristic engine did not clean up line feeds like it did for txt.

- so I reverted to trying txt to epub & trying all options in the encoding drop down list until I got a result.

if that drop down had not been pre-populated with possible solutions, I'd have been lost!

PS txt looked ok when opened in firefox but I did not see how to get firefox to tell me the encoding - under view - I saw autodetect=off & characte set = western iso 8859

( when I say looked OK in firefox, it looked like the posted example with an opening slanted quote. after converting to cp1250, it has proper curly quotes in the epub & looked nicer.

I guess I should go google cp1250 1251 1252 & learn lots of stuff I never really wanted to have to know!....

& google says
"CP1250 is Eastern European (not ISO-8859-2) CP1251 is Cyrillic (not ISO-8859-5) CP1252 is Western European (not ISO-8859-1)... "

so the non-geeky explanation is that my text was in eastern euopean encoding ?

Last edited by cybmole; 01-26-2011 at 08:38 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote