View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bran View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have a DR800S. I am personally running a debian linux sid distribution (very up to date, refresh about every 4 to five days)). I am also an experienced programmer. The installation instructions for the dev environment really assumes that you use ubuntu which I do not. Is there documentation available that helps with a debian sid installation of the dev environment including the qemu? I would really like to contribute to the communal effort to keep this device alive.

This would be my first foray into cross-compliing and qemu emulation. I realize I need help. I could try to setup an ubuntu in a virtualbox, but I that is emulation in emulation. I believe that is not the way to go. My current sid is way beyond the suggested ubuntu platform

Can anyone give me some hints?

Regards Bran
IMHO the best option is to use the same OS version IREX people recommends. Install a virtual machine for the development. And don't forget to read the doc at [1] carefully.
This way you don't mesh your own computer and even you can save states (snapshots) and recover if something goes wrong.

There is a VMware Player/WorkStation image you can download, search this forum, but you'll have to update it because it contains an old version of IREX SDK.

Anyway, if you have a minimum Linux experience I recommend to install a new vm or to download an already-made virtual machine and install the SDK yourself; it's really easy. Look at [2] for some sources.

Btw, I'm using a VirtualBox vm, it works perfectly.

Some of us have some draft documents about DR development, maybe we could polish and publish them finally...

[1] http://developer.irexnet.com/pub/iOn/SDK/
[2] https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...81&postcount=3

PS: welcome onboard
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote