View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #79
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I really don't see the issue. I wouldn't be offended if it was a Diwali, Hanukkah, Eid or any other religious celebration category that was nominated. If there are good books that have these religious observances as a key feature of the narrative, then bring it on.
I honestly don't think it's much of an issue either, especially if it loses, but if it wins, I just think it's the right thing to do to be more inclusive. And it is an issue for one member, and even if that one member is one who is prone to complaining, it doesn't mean that the issue is automatically void or that a less vocal member, or one who hasn't joined yet, might not have a similar issue with it.

Imagine if, instead of it being JSWolf's complaint, that some random lurker who consistently votes on the polls posted, and said something to the effect of, "I'm Jewish and don't celebrate Christmas but instead Hanukkah. I'm fine with Christmas nominations, but in the spirit of inclusiveness, couldn't we broaden the category to include other holiday themed books as well?" I think it would've garnered a very different reaction than the one JSWolf got. I'm not saying that I agree with everything in JSWolf's complaint but that doesn't dissuade from the fact that part of his complaint is valid.

Also, I think the point is that a "Christmas" category might win, while we all know a "Hanukkah", "Diwali" or what-have-you category probably won't. But, it's not just that it's one holiday, it's that it's a dominant major religious holiday that occurs at a similar time as somewhat similar holidays from other religions that would be excluded.

Will the world end if "Christmas" wins and we don't broaden the definition? No, but given the debate here, in my opinion we will as a group look a little more narrow-minded for that month.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote