View Single Post
Old 01-26-2007, 12:29 PM   #49
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Wow, you'd think with all of the e-Ink clones coming out, the price would start to drop (esp. for more cheaply made devices coming out of China). I seriously do not think that they'll see a phenominal launch trying to ask for more than a well-known company such as $ony was for essentially the same device. Those image comparisons were too much, I can't belive they did that! Who needs all of that other jazz on an eReader, i mean come on, my paperback/hardback doesn't need to calculate, play MP3's, warm my pants for me (j/k) so why should it's replacement when the initial draw is to simply replace the paper and bulk of the item?

Here's another question, does the e-Ink technology cost so much that all vendors need to charge so much and offer essentially the same sized screens? How much more would it cost to create a screen that is 30% larger? I don't see too much on the IC side, except maybe a few more to "help flip the pixels," but nothing to really inflate the price too much. Perhaps some company will eventually (think near-term future here, or hope) concede to our requests and eventually offer a full PDF-sized device that is in a reasonable/approachable sub-$300 price range. If they do, and the size/battery life/ruggedness/capabilities fit, I think this would blow all the others out of the water (or at least force them to adapt). Think of the paper saved on all of those soon-to-be-dated tech manuals, computer books, and out-dated medical refernce journals! <-- JMHO
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote