View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 05:56 PM   #13
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Problem is, some of the books being scanned are decades, or centuries old, and is one of the few extant copies remaining. One of my projects in my spare time has been making an ebook copy of Hartmann the Anarchist. Google scanned, and destroyed, a copy from 1893. That edition goes for hundreds of dollars if you can find it. The version rendered from that scanning, is almost totally unreadable, due to the number of OCR errors. Was that worth it?

The Epub might be 'totally unreadable', but the PDF is a photographic copy of that book. Any book Google scans begins as a photographic PDF.

I, personally, haven't found any 'totally unreadable' epubs on Google, but I've found lots on Internet Archive, to the degree that I don't even look there anymore.

A digital file can be backed up, copied and recopied without loss of data - a copy that exists anywhere can exist everywhere.

Would I destroy the last remaining copy of a book in order to make thousands of copies available anywhere to anyone?

Why, yes. Yes, I would.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote