View Single Post
Old 05-24-2018, 07:52 PM   #115
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
Hello
Does factory resetting a kindle erase all your personal info? I'd like to trade in a kindle but don't want any trace of what was on it, etc?

Searched around and only saw a stack exchange post about it that involved using scripts (above my level of proficiency)
Delete != Gone

Visible user store over USB is FAT32.
There have been un-delete programs for FAT32 for as long as it has existed.
(Where did you think we got our copies of "factory usage only" system image packages (before Lab126 wised up)? )

The non-visible user store is ext3.
It has been around a long time and deleted file recovery tools exist for it also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
It will "delete" personal info & user content, yes. As the thread you mentioned probably explains, that by no means assure you that the data is actually gone. It's in fact probably going to be very easy to recover.

TL;DR: The care you take into deleting stuff depends entirely on the importance you give to that kind of things.
Somewhere around here I posted a tool (which will run on the Kindle) that will do a "secure erase" of your files.
(It is in the archive of tools and scripts for copying a file with read-back verification -- used by people who suspect their Kindle storage is flaky.)
Secure Erase == Gone.

But you claim that would be too advanced for your own use.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote