View Single Post
Old 05-28-2016, 06:26 AM   #106
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourcat View Post
@Cini: Without TTS enabled books it makes little sense. OTG is not mainstream and I guess it never will be.
Bluetooth sound would be interesting.
Luckily my crystal ball is fine

All Freescale SoC devices (Kindles since the K2) have some sort of OTG support.
The user accessible USB port has always been OTG.

Kindle prior to the Paperwhite series (other than the K4) have had TTS or at least support for TTS.

If you find a shortage of books 'voice enabled' - there are off-Kindle tools available to change the book's "voice enable" flag.

Although Amazon has only released the Dongle/VoiceView combination for the PW-3, it has been reported elsewhere that it works on all 7th generation devices.

It should also work (or be possible to make work) on the 6th and 8th generation devices. (all same SoC/cpu - at least I think the Oasis uses the same SoC)

That leaves only the K4 and the PW1 without either add-on or built-in TTS.
(with a question mark after the KT2 and the Oasis - I haven't read anyone trying the voice dongle on those).

= = = =

We have only seen two pictures of one side of the Oasis board posted here -
without a trace of serial port connections shown in those.

It would be nice to see the other side of the board and for someone to inspect those edge cover connectors - Amazon might have done the serial port on the Oasis like they did on the K3 - brought the connections out on the cover connectors.

Last edited by knc1; 05-28-2016 at 06:41 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote