View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
Drezin
Connoisseur
Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-505
Why Ereader Companies Shouldn't be Worried

Let me preface this by saying I may be COMPLETELY wrong in this prediction.

I don't think the ereader market should be too worried about the iPad, because from what I can tell, it isn't really an ereader. I think the largest allure for an ereader is the screen, which closely resembles paper. Without this, I'm not sure the iPad can be categorized with the usual ereader product. Personally, I have no desire to do my pleasure reading from an LCD (or LED, whatever it is) screen. Plus, factor in the battery life this thing will surely be sucking down, and I jusr don't see the ereader market being hit too hard.

Will the iPad sell? Of course. Steve Jobs could slap the Apple icon on just about anything at this point and it's going to sell like crazy, and Apple hasn't been known to sell crap (unless you talk to the major detractors). I may even get one. But will it really be bought for its ability to be an ereader? I seriously doubt it. Maybe by a few, but as of now, not by me. I'm sticking to my PRS-600.
Drezin is offline   Reply With Quote