View Single Post
Old 02-16-2007, 03:57 AM   #1
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
Web2Book Alpha version

Hi all

I order to expedite the next release of rss2book (which is now called web2book) I am making available an alpha version of the new app here. I'd appreciate those who have the time and inclination to try it out and tell me what is broken. A few things I know of:

- "Cancel" buttons typically don't revert changes
- tabbing through controls may be pretty randomly ordered

A few things worth noting:

- you should remove any old feeds you may have that have isHtml checked, and make these web pages instead (there is a separate tab for web pages)

- web pages and rss feeds can be published/subscribed to; Gutenberg books and wikipedia entries not (as they are trivial and too numerous)

- web pages can recursively fetch additional content, as can Wikipedia entries. Be warned with wikipedia this can quickly get out of hand (e.g. "lobster" links to over 200 additional entries). Use the Depth setting under the advanced options to set these; Depth 1 is the initial page, Depth 2 the page plus those it links to, etc. Links are only followed if they're hosted on the same site.

- there is no "number of days" setting in the options anymore, just the per-feed values

- all output conversion is done with plugins - that includes HtmlDoc. Similarly for hardware synching although there's only one plugin for now which is the Sony Reader

- the fictionbook.ru plugin worked but is now useless as all the English books have been pulled from the site a few days ago

- Gutenberg plugin has only been tested with a couple of books and may be very broken for others. Also there is no real attempt at formatting

- I have some code written for an Outlook tasks/notes/contacts plugin; it isn't finished and I'd be interested to hear whether anyone actually wants this

- the C# files for the plugin interfaces (ISyncDevice for devices, ISource for HTML source, IHtmlConverter for back-end converters) are included for those who might be interested in extending the app. I'll probably write up a tutorial at some point.

- the "Go" button will only update and sync content associated with the current tab (i.e. feeds OR webpages OR wikipedia OR...).

- you can post bug reports here or even better file them at this link

Last edited by geekraver; 02-16-2007 at 01:01 PM.
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote