View Single Post
Old 06-17-2022, 05:30 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayaknyc View Post
I'm not sure you're making the right argument against somehow leveraging IPFS with one's calibre library.
I suspect that Jon is trying to say that storing your calibre library on IPFS is not going to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayaknyc View Post
Personally, I'd be very interested in democratizing and sharing my curated collection with whomever would want access to it. It's been wildly successful for scihub (current court-cases not withstanding)......
As long as you can guarantee that all the books in your collection are not under copyright. If any of them are copyrighted, well, hoist the Jolly Roger and damn the cannons time. Using scihub as an example is not going to help since scihub is mostly referred to as a pirate website which seems to regard copyright, author's rights, etc. as a legal fiction.

Then you run into the books that have a bit of text similar to:
Quote:
No part of this book may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval systems.
At MobileRead, even seeming to be promoting piracy is a good way to get yourself banned. MobileRead poobahs prefer to avoid having lawyers casting their eyes in their direction.

Last edited by DNSB; 06-20-2022 at 04:36 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote