View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #423
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Windows debricking tools & drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
I recently bricked my Kindle so bad that actually, for the first time, I had to resort to reflashing it (because I couldn't even get it to boot to diags using ENABLE_DIAGS anymore... the device would simply not react at all on any "normal" boot).

It was actually a PITA and took 5 hours to merely find and install all those Windows drivers, but once Windows was convinced that it could actually work, everything went smoothly. BTW, geekmaster: thanks a ton for all the work you put into this!

Anyway... during that procedure, I reinitialized everything from scratch, went back to 5.0.0 from a forensic image, and then upgraded to 5.1.0.
I'm attaching the tools and drivers that I required on my machine to get everything running correctly. As described above, it did indeed take about 5h (from a more-or-less pristine WinXP/SP3 installation) until I had found the correct files, and the correct order to install them

I'm attaching the files which worked for me. I tend to "document" such installations in a minimal way, by putting the working files in appropriately named directories (by installation order). There is even a minimal README in here (but not much more).

As said, these files worked on my device. I'm publishing them in the hope that they may somehow be useful for you as well, in the sense that they could hopefully spare you from some of the searching that I needed to do. However, you're still required to make sense of this by yourself, and probably to adapt parts of it.

I do not provide ANY guarantee or support for this, I do not take ANY responsibility for your actions, etc.
... In short: this was the first time in more than a year that I even used Windows at all; in fact, I have no clue why anybody would voluntarily use that OS. In any case, I can't help any further with Windows.

Legal: the attached file contains software obtained from various sources. All of the software contained in the attached bundle is freely available.
Attached Files
File Type: zip WinXP-SP3-debrick-tools+drivers.zip (1.74 MB, 2221 views)

Last edited by ixtab; 12-27-2012 at 05:57 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote