View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #12
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
That a periodical publisher has to produce such a widely different version for each device that's out there? Or does the 'store' for each device do all the work?

Just WHO is responsible for making sure a given subscriber gets an appropriate version? Can the benefit of being on a moderately popular reader truly outweigh the costs for a magazine publisher?

Is there a generic non DRM epub version? It would seem to me this "Balkanization" of the eReader market is as bad for content providers as it is for the consumers.
I noticed that the Kindle, SONY and iPad versions all contain (sometimes subtle) differences. But it's obviously more than just converting the same file to a different format.
The most telling is the spelling errors. They are always device-specific. The kindle version seems the worst, in terms of errors, followed by the SONY and the iPad, in that order. But my observations are unscientific. Nevertheless, it's clear that the final editing is device-specific.
The menus and the navigation systems are different in each instance as well. So are the section front-pages. Delivery times are different as well. WSJ on Kindle is out much earlier than the other two daily versions - almost 3-4 hours earlier.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote