View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #47
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sibrary G5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The films omit a number of major episodes which are in the books, and also have composite characters.
There are also some scenes in the movies that weren't in the books. The warg battle on the way to Helm's Deep, for example; where did THAT come from? Sam and Frodo at Osgiliath, for another. The Passes of the Dead. And Elrond personally travelling incognito half way across Middle-earth just to give Aragorn his sword (what? he doesn't have people to do that for him?) -- when in the books Aragorn already had it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The books are just so much better in every way.
I'd mostly agree with you, but I have to say some of the visuals in the movie were WAY better than I'd concocted in my own imagination. The orcs were much more threatening, the Bridge of Khazad-dum was spectacularly awesome, and I *loved* Shelob.

While I can forgive Peter Jackson for, for example, telescoping Glorfindel and Arwen or an overemphasis on the battles, and I can understand the omission of Bombadil, I am and will remain eternally peeved at him for putting elves in Helm's Deep. Total travesty; not only was there no excuse, there wasn't even a dramatic call for it.

(Oh, and don't even get me started on Sam's corny "What are we fighting for?" speech. Yeccchhhh!)
Nathanael is offline   Reply With Quote