Thread: conversion
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2010, 05:05 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcobb View Post
Interesting. To see what it was about I clicked on the link as suggested, went to my category of choice (epub->science fiction) and clicked on the top title (Something by Poul Andersen (sp)) and got this:
Information

To comply with Canadian copyright laws the file you have requested cannot be served from this server.
This work is in the United States public domain, but may be under copyright in some countries. If you live outside the US, check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this file or these files.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.

The file is located at the following US location: http://down.4dots.com/27103/The Burning Bridge - Poul Anderson.epub
-----------------------------
So is this legal (not that I particularly care) or what? What is the legal status of stuff here (there)? I am in the US so it seems legal but whats the mention of Canadian laws for? Is this site hosted there? Is it the poster?

Still it seems like an interesting source, although it has nowhere near the scope of Gutenberg. Still, another source is another source...also, does that subsection have its own search engine? I mean epub is my current format of choice but if thats what I click on, that's all I see and if there is a novel I really like/want, I can easily convert the format. Case in point: Even though I have already read it, as a Browncoat (Firefly fan) the excellent free ebook by Steven Brust (My Kind Of Freedom) would not be in the epub section (think its only PDF, HTML and one other format) and would be something I would like to happen to find. This also leads to the question: can anyone submit/upload to that section?
MobileRead is located in Canada, hence the books located on our server are subject to Canadian copyright law (as the notice states). We also have a file server in the US, for those relatively small number of books which are in the public domain in the US, but not in Canada. The book you have found is such a book.

MR is a strictly "legit" site; we do not encourage or condone piracy, and all our books are hosted entirely legally. However, they may or may not be legal for you to download; it's your responsibility to check whether what you wish to download is in the public domain in your country.

Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote